Yes, another Father’s Day post! But this one is about honoring the fathers in our lives that have made us really proud. Proud to be who we are. Proud to be open. Proud to stand up next to the man that gave us hope, or help, or a little bit of both.
1. The dad who left this note for his son.
2. The father on the other end of this call from a soldier, who came out to him after DADT was repealed.
3. Magic Johnson, who opened up about his gay son, E.J.
“[...] Young people struggle, especially when you’re sitting there and you know you want to tell the world, but it’s just … he just didn’t know how,” Johnson told Yahoo! Sports. “He just didn’t know how everybody else — not his family, because we already knew — how everybody else was going to react. So I think he just said, ‘You know what? This is my moment, this is my time, I’m happy to share with the world who I am.’ And I said, ‘Go, E.J. Go.’ You know, I’m behind him a million percent. This is really wonderful for him.”
4. This Mormon father who marched for his son.
5. This father who tucked a photo of him and his son Levi, who came out on Facebook but not to his dad.
On the back, Levi’s father wrote: “I will always love you, no matter what.”
6. Senator Rob Portman, who changed his stance on gay marriage after his son came out to him.
7. Dave, who wrote a touching response to his son coming out to him at the age of 7.
“I don’t see how a father, or any parent, can look at their son, the one they’ve loved since before the child was even born, and upon hearing him say, “Dad, I’m gay,” turn their back on him. The comments from men much older than me telling stories just like that break my heart. My wife always wants to adopt the teenage kids who write to her; I want to adopt the 60-year-old men who cry when they read that I tell my son how awesome he is. I don’t care if they are as old as my father; they deserve love just as much as anyone else.”
His son recently got to meet his ‘boyfriend’, Darren Criss.
8. This dad who got a “Born This Way” tattoo in support of his bisexual son.
9. This father who stood up for his son, who happened to want a a princess movie on DVD.
10. Matthew Brent, who stood behind his bullied son and demanded action from his son’s school.
Thanks to all the supportive father figures in our lives.