Whitney Houston did drown accidentally in a tub at the Beverly Hills Hilton, but recent and chronic cocaine use and heart disease were large factors in her death, according to the coroner’s official toxicology report.
Reports the Christian Science Monitor:
Coroner’s officials did not reveal how much cocaine was found in Houston’s system, but said there were signs of recent and chronic use. It was unclear whether she suffered a heart attack before drowning, Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter said.
“We are saddened to learn of the toxicology results, although we are glad to now have closure,” Patricia Houston, the singer’s sister-in-law and manager, said in a statement.
In a few weeks, the coroner will release the exact amount of cocaine found in Houston’s system.
Part of the late pop powerhouse’s comeback effort included a remake of the movie Sparkle, which will hit theaters in late August. American Idol singer Jordin Sparks stars as the titular character, who, along with her two sisters attempts to make it big in the 60′s motown era. Whitney plays Jordin’s single mother.