Each week, Queerty picks one blowhard, hypocrite, airhead, sanctimonious prick or other enemy of all that is queer to be the Douche of the Week.
Have a nominee for DOTW? E-mail it to us at [email protected].
Just when you think the goalposts have moved and our enemies have to camouflage their hatred in softer tones, a GOP honcho vomits up something we’d expect to hear from Jesse Helms (may he rot in Hell.)
Dave Agema, a member of the Michigan RNC committee, posted a link on Facebook to an article describing just how harmful homosexuality is, not just to those who practice it but to the general population.
Among the “facts” in “Everyone Should Know These Statistics on Homosexuals”:
- Homosexuals live unhealthy lifestyles, and have historically accounted for the bulk of syphilis, gonorrhea, Hepatitis B, the “gay bowel syndrome” (which attacks the intestinal tract), tuberculosis and cytomegalovirus.
- 73% of psychiatrists say homosexuals are less happy than the average person, and of those psychiatrists, 70% say that the unhappiness is NOT due to social stigmatization
- 33% of homosexuals ADMIT to minor/adult sex
- Judge John Martaugh, chief magistrate of the New York City Criminal Court has said, “Homosexuals account for half the murders in large cities”
- Captain William Riddle of the Los Angeles Police says, “30,000 sexually abused children in Los Angeles were victims of homosexuals”
- Because homosexuals can’t reproduce naturally, they resort to recruiting children. Homosexuals can be heard chanting “TEN PERCENT IS NOT ENOUGH, RECRUIT, RECRUIT, RECRUIT” in their homosexual parades.
You can read the full article here
Just on the face of it, these so-called factoids are obviously bullshit. “Homosexuals account for half of the murders in large cities”? We were obviously suspicious of that one—it turns out Judge Martaugh was on the bench in the 1940s and ’50s, and was a crusader against immortality and perversion. (He’s theonewho convicted Lenny Bruce of obscenity.) So he’s not exactly an objective authority on anything.
We couldn’t even find any mention of a “Captain William Riddle” on the LAPD, but based on the other assertions, he was probably on the beat during the Civil War.
The rest of these bullet points are either out of context, outdated, or outright lies.
Dozens of Michigan Republican leaders have called for Agema to resign. “This isn’t about what we believe either politically or as women and men of faith. This is about common decency,” said Dennis Lennox, who is leading the call for Agema’s ousting. “We do not have confidence in Mr. Agema representing the best interests of our fellow Michigan Republicans and as a result ask him to resign from his seat on the Republican National Committee.”
Agema says calls for him to step down are “a joke.” In an email to the Detroit Free Press on Thursday, he accused “liberal Republicans” of twisting his words:
“I think it was a piece worth sharing given the debate over gay marriage that is happening in the Supreme Court. I strongly maintain my position in support of marriage between a man and a woman and I will not back down from my core beliefs in support of strengthening the family.”
Isn’t it the religious right who keep saying their opposition to marriage equality doesn’t mean they hate gays? We really wish you guys would make up your mind.
Before he was elected a member of the Michigan delegation to the RNC in 2012, Agema was a Michigan state representative from 2007 to 2012. He’s also the president of the Sabath House Ministries, a member of the Allied Pilots Association and the NRA.
And, lest we forget: Dhe’s a douche!