– Go through your private papers, you identity cards, your membership cards, insurance forms, all of it. On a separate piece of paper, net down which groups, clubs, parties, organizations, or agencies require your gender as a matter of record…
– Next to each group you listed, write down what possible reasons that group might have to record your gender…
ADVANCED LAW EXERCISE
– Write to each group listed above and ask the reason they want your gender.
– If… you feel they’ve no reason to know or fix you into some gender, then write them back politely requesting they remove your gender from their records as this is an invasion of your privacy…
WAY ADVANCED LAW EXERCISE:
Be or hire a lawyer to organize a class action lawsuit to have your gender removed from the records of all of the groups who currently hold that information about you.
REALLY WAY ADVANCED LAW EXERCISE:
In hire book The Apartheid Of Sex, Martine Rothbaltt maintains that a key initial action in a successful transgender movement would be to make illegal the requirement of the M/F designation on all government and public forms the same way that race has been removed as a required piece of information on public forms, including job applications… the sooner this one is done, the sooner the government won’t be able to enforce the M/F dichotomy.”
– Kate Bornstein author of My Gender Workbook describing a way for citizens to challenge the government’s policies which make trans people illegal and invisible.