ON OUR GAYDAR — News, notes, clicks, and quips from around the web.
• This closeted gay MLB player is blogging his exploits. But is he about to quit baseball? So he says. But don’t expect him to come out.
• Being gay has absolutely no impact your parenting abilities with an adopted child. Age and pre-adoptive sexual, however, do change things. OF COURSE.
• Equality California is raging mad anti-gay former State Sen. Charles Poochigian, who lost the attorney general race to Jerry Brown, was confirmed for the 5th District Court of Appeal: “We find this appointment by the Governor to be appalling. Not only because Poochigian voted against every LGBT bill that came before him while in the legislature. Not only because the Judicial Nomination Committee of the State Board found him “Not Qualified.” Not only because the National Organization for Women-California Chapter and other groups are opposed to his appointment due to his dismal record on issues pertaining to the rights of women, people of color, people with disabilities and workers. But because all Californians will have to wonder about his commitment to justice when important issues come before the Court.”
• The, like, four-member GOProud, which split from the Log Cabin Republicans, won’t be backing healthcare reform as it stands: “The conventional wisdom says that gays and lesbians should support Democrats’ efforts to expand the federal government’s role in healthcare. After all, in 2008 more than 70 percent of gay voters supported Barack Obama for president, and Democrats up and down the ballot count on gay dollars to fuel their campaigns and advocacy work. The Democrats would never push healthcare reform that actually hurts gay and lesbian Americans, right? Wrong. The truth is that Democratic efforts to expand government-run healthcare will expand discrimination and make quality, affordable healthcare even less available to gay and lesbian families all across the country.”
• British man blackmailed out of cash by guy he met on the web.
• October is GLBT history month. Celebrate by going to this website.
• Churches “struggle” over whether to leave ELCA over gay vote.
• SPONSORED: The all-new MisterMeetsMister features all your favorite social networking tools and, which we’re most excited about, audio uploads. Oh, the possibilities.