Fine, so we are late in watching VH1’s new makeover show TRANSform Me, which premiered on Monday night. And it is better than Queer Eye and America’s Next Top Model put together (and then cut into thirds, and shared among friends).
With Laverne Cox, Jamie Clayton, and Nina Poon as your style experts (they put the “trans” in TRANSform Me), Monday’s debut (embedded in full above) introduces us to Nicole, who’s lost something like fifty pounds, and whose wardrobe is made up of fat clothes. We’ve sized up the show pretty quickly.
Things we love:
• They drive around in an ambulance — sorry, glambulance — with a disco ball hanging from the ceiling.
• The show’s editors have ambulance sirens blaring through every scene change, because makeovers are emergencies!
• Their first stop is Mobile, Alabama — Laverne’s hometown, as well as homophobia’s.
• The whole novelty of transgender women hosting a makeover show lasts about five minutes, and then it’s on to the fashions, with just a few trans references thrown in here and there.
• Laverne is the star, and Jamie and Nina are the sidekicks. The formula works.
• Cracking down on glitter abuse.
Things we don’t love so much:
• The stupid purpose for the makeover (a night out with the girlfriends) is lacking, but that’s always the problem with makeover shows; the person getting the new look often has nowhere fabulous to go.
• Zooming in on eyebrows.