Matt Baume of Americans For Equal Rights’ Marriage News Watch recounts the year’s highlights in marriage-equality news and peers into his crystal ball for some predictions about 2012.
There were five big trends this year:
1. Multiple polls show a majority of Americans—and that
includes a lot of Republicans—support the LGBT community’s
right to marry.
2. There’s been a lot of action around civil unions.
3. 2011 saw some big shakeups at statewide equality organizations.
4. There’s been international progress on gay marriage that
sometimes outpaced the U.S.
5. We’ve been laying the groundwork for some major victories.