Listen up, folks, Miss Coco Peru has something to say. The popular cabaret performer, monologist, movie star (Trick, Girls Will Be Girls), tireless fundraiser and genuinely beloved personality is back (not to imply she’s been gone). But our favorite redhead is again performing in a fundraiser (her seventh!) for L.A.’s vitally important gay and lesbian center (proceeds from ticket sales will help homeless LGBT youth) in an encore presentation of her hit show Miss Coco Peru: She’s Got Balls. In it she reflects on her early childhood dreams of being a stripper, her crush on the Creature from the Black Lagoon, her love/hate relationship with Facebook, why she left her beloved hometown of New York City, and her summers spent on a nude beach with her husband, Rafael (he’s from Spain). Peru, aka multiple-award winner Clinton Leupp, graciously agreed to explain why it’s important for Queerty readers to get their butts in seats when she performs She’s Got Balls February 21-23.
- Because I’ve been working as a drag queen/world savior for 24 years so I must be doing something right
- Because Lily Tomlin said I am one of the “last great storytellers.” If you’re too young to know who Lily Tomlin is…. Fuck you!
- Because the proceeds go to the LGBT Center’s Homeless Youth Program. Now doesn’t that make you feel better about yourself? Well, it makes me feel better about you.
- Did I mention I’ve been doing this for 24 years? How many more years do you think I have left?!? Experience me while you can! Plus, tickets are only $25.00 and there is free parking! Most of you spend more on two cocktails! Having said that, cocktails are available.
- Because you should support live Theatre and Artists! Can I get an AMEN? Or at least 25 bucks?
And here’s one more bonus reason: JUST BECAUSE!
Miss Coco Peru stars in She’s Got Balls Feb 21, 22 and 23 at the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center’s Renberg Theatre. For info and tickets, go here.