Queerty is better as a member

Log in | Register

5 Ways Gays Outflank Straights When Hunting For Love Online


By averaging the number of sex partners each user reports, OK Cupid found only a 1% difference between the number of gays and straights with fewer than 20 sex partners. I wonder whether it would’ve made more sense to figure which group had more than the other. Moreover, about 99% of all people have had less than 20 sexual partners, but I know a handful of gay and straight people who have easily had well over 20. Are those people really just 1% of the population? Probably not. The more likely answer is that very promiscuous people aren’t using a dating site to hook up.

Either way it doesn’t exactly put to rest the image of the “the sex-hungry gay”, especially since OKC says that 2% of the gays account for about 23% of the overall sex reported on the site. They suggest that maybe that just a handful of bed-hopping gays promote the promiscuous gay stereotype, but they didn’t state the percentage of straights who account for the majority of hetero sex. From what I see, heteros want sex every bit as much as gays do, but the gender divide may result for fewer sexual encounters over the long term.

By:          Daniel Villarreal
On:           Oct 15, 2010
Tagged: , , , , , , , , ,
    • TomEM

      Impressive: You folks did an excellent job writing this up, and arranging it, for Queerty.

      Oct 15, 2010 at 11:28 am · @ReplyReply to this comment ·
    • Lawrence

      I have never been so happy to live in Canada! :P

      Oct 15, 2010 at 12:41 pm · @ReplyReply to this comment ·
    • Chris

      Uh, I’m going to go out on a limb and say that way more than 1 percent of gay men have had more than 20 partners. I doubt they’re using OK Cupid, though, considering I’d never heard of it before reading this article. Wonder what the stats from adam4adam would look like?

      Oct 15, 2010 at 1:40 pm · @ReplyReply to this comment ·
    • Charlie

      Errrrrrr… here’s the thing with OK Cupid. Even if someone doesn’t get to actually see your responses the internal system will keep you from matching up with people that are outside of what you say you want. So it is tempting to not answer questions accurately so that you seem like a better match.

      Oct 15, 2010 at 1:57 pm · @ReplyReply to this comment ·
    • Charlie

      It’s probably also worth pointing out that OK Cupid only has the data for people who are actively looking for a relationship. Gay folks that just want to hook up won’t be counted on OKCupid.

      Oct 15, 2010 at 2:05 pm · @ReplyReply to this comment ·
    • Ash

      @Lawrence: Haha, me too! That orange was a happy sight to see.

      Oct 16, 2010 at 1:34 am · @ReplyReply to this comment ·
    • TR

      Oregon oh oregon! the bi-curious-est state in the union!!!!
      so proud to be from the beaver state.

      Oct 17, 2010 at 12:14 pm · @ReplyReply to this comment ·
    • dukeofhurl

      Ummm…correct me if I’m wrong but is Queerty failing at geography now, too? Oregon appears to be the most red state in that map, not Washington.

      Oct 17, 2010 at 2:02 pm · @ReplyReply to this comment ·
    • Nate

      1. I want to move to Canada.
      2. There is no way strait men are as horny as gay men…unless they are horny because they are not getting any.
      3. congratulations quested, this report is amazing, and very nicely put together

      Jan 16, 2011 at 1:15 am · @ReplyReply to this comment ·
    • fabul0us03081992

      I have a friend and he is a gay. I always try to find some perfect guy for him and even create an accountant here https://kovla.com/datings/us/montgomery/. And at last he is happy and even engaged! I am so happy for him=) I can’t wait his wedding=)

      May 9, 2015 at 9:38 am · @ReplyReply to this comment ·

    Add your Comment

    Please log in to add your comment

    Need an account? Register It's free and easy.

  • Copyright 2016 Queerty, Inc.
    Follow Queerty at Queerty.com, twitter.com/queerty and facebook.com/queerty.