Customers At Salt Lake City Gay Club Pelted With Lit Flares tipped us off to a disturbing incident at Jam, a popular gay nightclub in Salt Lake City: Wednesday night after midnight, customers outside the club were bombarded with what’s believed to be at least six high-temperature flares.

“At first I assumed someone on the patio was setting off fireworks for some reason and thought, who would be crazy enough to do that in such a crowded area?”  said Fernando Noriega, founder of “Then as soon as I realized it wasn’t and I could see them falling from above us, I knew what was happening.”

He attempted to catch sight of the attackers while others called 911 and went for water to put out the flames. Noriega says he saw three young white blond males in a red Pontiac Grand Am heading north on Beck St.

It’s believed the perpetrators may be part of a polygamist group that lives nearby but, so far, the police have not identified any suspects.

Located in Salt Lake’s Marmalade District, Jam has become immensely popular with local gays: Just this week we reported that Dancing with the Stars cast member Derek Hough, a hometown boy, was spotted there (trying to keep a fan from taking his picture, naturally).

“This is an isolated juvenile prank [but] unfortunately the kids that did this could have accidentally injured someone or burned our building down,” said Jam owner Brian Morris.  “We have hired a second security person to watch our patio area on busy nights to keep something like this from happening again.”

Rather than a protest, a special celebration will be held at the club on August 22 to show “these kinds of actions against the gay community in Salt Lake City will not be allowed to stop us from living our lives out and proud,” says Noriega.

From now on, lets keep the flaming on the dance floor and out of the parking lot, okay?