Mad Men is back. More importantly Jon Hamm’s scene-stealingly large bulge is back and who wouldn’t want to drink to that? The authors of The Unofficial Mad Men Cookbook, Judy Gelman and Peter Zheutlin, shared a few boozy recipes inspired by and featured in the award-winning series. So tonight, you can drink along to Don’s douchebaggery, Roger’s rambunctiousness and Peggy just plain ole bein’ a boss.
Check out some Mad Men-inspired booze below — all recipes yield one drink.
The first drink ordered on Mad Men, the sip that launched a thousand ships and Don’s drink of choice. He orders it in season 1, episode 1 — “Smoke Gets in Your Eyes” — and Mr. Draper is seen getting all kinds of sloppy to it throughout the show.
1 orange slice
1 maraschino cherry
1 tsp sugar
Few drops of Angostura bitters
A splash of soda water to muddle ingredients
2½ oz rye or bourbon
1. In a mixing glass, muddle orange slice, cherry, sugar, bitters and a little soda water; push around and break up cherry and orange until flavor is released.
2. Add soda water so cherry is wet and sugar is melted. Add rye or bourbon and serve over rocks, if desired.
Silver fox Roger Sterling’s signature drink.
½ oz dry vermouth
1. Fill a martini glass with water and large ice cubes (enough to keep it cold while mixing drink).
2. Pour vermouth and gin into a mixing glass and stir.
3. Pour ice and water out of martini glass. Pour martini from mixing glass to martini glass.
“21” Traditional Bloody Mary
The drinking day starts early at Sterling, Cooper et al, and Bloody Mary’s are a staple at the Draper breakfast table or early morning meetings. The roots of the drink lie at New York’s famed 21 Club where this recipe originates.
1½ oz vodka
2 oz tomato juice, chilled
Dash of Worcestershire sauce
Dash of celery sauce
Dash of Tabasco sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Add ingredients to a shaker filled with ice. Shake well and pour into a chilled cocktail glass.
Nothing says Manhattan like a Manhattan.
2 oz rye whiskey
½ oz sweet vermouth
2-3 dashes Angostura bitters
Maraschino cherry, for garnish
1. Pour whiskey, vermouth, and bitters into a mixing glass with ice cubes. Stir well.
2. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with the cherry.
When Betty and Don were heading down the road to divorce, Betty took the wheel and drunkenly crashed into a handsome stranger. After finding out she’s pregnant with their third child, Betty stops into a bar and orders a gimlet. Continuing her reckless behavior, she then has anonymous sex in the bar’s office. Betty Draper, everyone — mother of the year.
2 oz vodka
1 oz Rose’s Lime Juice
1. Add vodka and Rose’s Lime Juice to a shaker filled with ice.
2. Shake and strain into martini glass or pour over ice.
Bacardi Rum Frappé
Remember that time Peggy Olson started smoking pot? While brainstorming ideas for Bacardi over the weekend, Peggy and the boys decided to get tropical with some frappés, aka daiquiris. Next thing you know, Peggy’s getting high and living the island life. Coincidence? Doubt it.
1 cup finely crushed ice
Juice of half a lime (½ oz)
1 tsp sugar
1½ oz light Bacardi rum
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until thoroughly frappéd.
Season six of Mad Men premieres tonight at 9pm/8 c.