• NEW HAMPSHIRE After the Senate Judiciary Committee recommended defeating trans-inclusive anti-discrimination legislation and passing on legalizing same-sex marriage, the full New Hampshire Senate will vote on the matter. “Thirteen of the state’s 24 senators are needed to kill the bill. If the senate splits at 12-12 or if a majority wants to keep it alive, a motion to pass could be entertained. The bill, which would redefine marriage to include same-sex couples and make New Hampshire the fifth state in the country where gay marriage is legal, could also end up tabled, where it could remain in political limbo. If it passes, a likely veto by the governor could derail any Granite State gay marriage law. Though Governor John Lynch has not said whether he would veto the bill, he has expressed opposition to gay marriage in favor of the rights that civil unions provide to gay couples.” [Reuters]
• WESTBORO Nope, they didn’t kill themselves. Instead the Westboro Baptist Church busies itself with protesting Walt Whitman High School because it’s named after a gay poet. [WaPo]
• STAR WARS Star Wars video game maker BioWare bans players from discussing anything gay in its forums, because it’s simply not material to the game. Of course, BioWare’s Star Wars games have included storylines involving heterosexual romances. [Bit Tech]
• NEW YORK Advocates rally in Albany to push legislators to pass legislation ranging from gay marriage and trans rights to anti-bullying measures. [AP]
• THAILAND Monks may face new guidelines specifically aimed at curbing the flamboyance of gay and transgender robe-wearers, “who can often be seen wearing revealingly tight robes, carrying pink purses and having effeminately-shaped eyebrows.” [BBC]
• GAYSPOTTING Like Jason Statham’s Transporter character, Robert Carlyle insists his Trainspotting character Francis Begbie — who kills just about everything in sight — was a big ‘mo. “He picks up the transsexual in the nightclub and there’s the scene in the car where he puts his hands between the trousers and finds out it’s the real deal. Now why doesn’t he just kill this person? He kills everybody else, why doesn’t he do that? He gets frightened of it and backs away.” [California Chronicle]
The Bioware thing is shitty because Bioware has included gay/lesbian romances and subplots in their games.
The no gay in Star Wars doesn’t fly either. Lucas’ bloody “Truman Capote the Hutt” is in the new Clone Wars cartoon. There are gay characters in Bioware’s own Star Wars games plus gay Mandalorians.
The Bioware Community manager should just go to hell.
Please call and/ or email New Hampshire State Senators TODAY! Urge them to vote YES for marriage equality. Make it happen.
New Hampshire State Senate
John Lynch might have presidential ambitions. He is one of the most top ranked Governors in America.
If he vetoes this bill, we will never forget. Iowan Democrats will not forget in 2016 when they have the caucus. Progressives will NEVER forget. John Lynch will go down in history as a bigot and an insult to Democrats if he dare try vetoing this bill.
As for Deborah Reynolds and the other Democrats who might consider voting the other way… they should have PRIMARY CHALLENGERS facing them in future elections.
@Captain Freedom: I wish that were true. Americans just elected a president and vice president who do not believe in same-sex marriage. I don’t think they will care about this either.
@Captain Freedom: Yes. While real leaders like NY Gov. David Paterson and CA Gov. Hopeful Gavin Newsom are going against strong opposition to push for full LGBT civil rights, NH Gov. John Lynch is actually trying to obstruct us. Even IOWA’S Governor, Chet Culver, is proving to be more of a friend to us! If Lynch ever runs for higher office (and still refuses to support marriage equality), he won’t be my primary candidate.
Comments are closed.