With all the celebrating this month, it’s easy to forget the haters. (Well, easier, anyway.) But Hypervocal compiled a list of more than a dozen things conservatives have compared homosexuality to.
Some are easy marks—alcoholism, smoking and other societal ills—but a just made us go “whaa?!?” Take a look:
• Slavery: If same-sex marriage were to be legalized, it would be on the same level as legalizing slavery in the eyes of Britain’s most senior Catholic, Cardinal Keith O’Brien.
• The iceberg that sunk the Titanic: Truth in Action Ministries produced a whole film around this central theme: “The moral iceberg is ripping a hole through structure of America and we’re taking on water.”
• Termites: And not just termites, but termites burrowing into the Democratic Party. Technically this belongs on a list of its own, because this isn’t a social conservative speaking, this is a Democratic Party county chairman. In Texas. Say hello, Dan Ramos:
• The Tea Party: Okay, same guy! Dan Ramos again: “I liken [gays] to the Tea Party—the Tea Party and the fucking Nazi Party—because they’re 90 percent white, blue-eyed, and Anglo, and I don’t give a fuck who knows that.”
• The Ku Klux Klan: Everybody loves a parade? Not Chicago’s Cardinal Francis George. He compared the gay pride parade to the KKK, saying “One such organization is the Ku Klux Klan which, well into the 1940s, paraded through American cities not only to interfere with Catholic worship but also to demonstrate that Catholics stand outside of the American consensus.”
• Hitler: As in defeating the gays is like defeating the craziest sociopath sonofabitch ever, argued Brad Dacus, an official Prop 8 spokesperson at a rally in support of the California ban in 2008.
Head over to Hypervocal for the full list of inane analogies.