The hits keep coming for James Franco.
After being snubbed by the Academy for his performance in “The Disaster Artist,” Vanity Fair has scrubbed the actor from its annual Hollywood portfolio cover.
Franco participated in the magazine’s interview and portrait session by famed photographer Annie Leibovitz, but he was digitally erased after a Los Angeles Times’ report about five women’s allegations of behavior the women deemed inappropriate.
The article was published just after he accepted the Golden Globe Award for lead actor and wearing a Time’s Up pin on his lapel.
“We made a decision not to include James Franco on the Hollywood cover once we learned of the misconduct allegations against him,” a Vanity Fair spokesperson tells The Hollywood Reporter.
People reports that Franco is “a mess” over the accusations.
“His team wants him to continue making public appearances. He thinks he can save his image,” a source says. “He looks like he hasn’t slept for days. He’s just a mess.”
A second source adds, “This whole process has been very hard on him. He’s been shaken up.”
In other Academy Award news, last year’s best actor winner Casey Affleck will not be presenting at this year’s ceremony, the Los Angeles Times reports.
Usually, the previous year’s best actor winner presents the prize to the incoming lead actress, but allegations of past sexual misconduct by Affleck have caused the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to rethink that tradition.
“We appreciate the decision to keep the focus on the show and on the great work of this year,” an Academy spokesperson said in a statement Thursday.