Juanita MORE! is the toast of SF during Pride week. Not only does she host a fabulous pride party–tickets are literally so hot there’s a underground market for them–but she seems to know everyone and be everywhere. No one helps you celebrate the freedom to be yourself better than Juanita. So we twisted Juanita’s arm to spill the beans on the best ways to enjoy the oct0pus that San Francisco Pride has become on the even of the 10th anniversary of her party.
1. Getting the perfect outfit for Pride Sunday can be a challenge. Two stores are stocked full of enough stuff to make your personal style shine through. They are Sui Generis and Retro Fit. Vintage, consignment and new fashions mixed together make a style icon’s dream closet!
2. Don’t miss the Friday night drag show Some Thing at The Stud. The legendary creature Glamamore is at the realms of this weekly party and closes the second of two shows weekly. You too will realize she is the reason you are there, dancing till the wee hours.
3. Get your wig done at Rosalie’s New Look on Polk Street. She alone has over 50 years of hair teasing experience in the city. There isn’t another thing in San Francisco that can bring out the real queen in you like a bouffant from Rosalie’s.
4. San Francisco is a world famous foodie town. The task of choosing the perfect restaurant can be daunting. I suggest you narrow it down by choosing to eat the things you love. I’d have you over for dinner, but I’ll be booked during Pride. Instead, stop by the Grubstake after 2AM and order the Nugget – it will put you right to sleep! Sit in the booth with my picture hanging over it and tell them I sent you!
5. QBar has designed a cocktail with my name on it. And though the bartenders will make you one any night of the week, why not have that special drink with me on Wednesday at my weekly Castro party institution, Booty Call Wednesdays! Dancing, drinking and modeling will all surely happen.
6. There will be celebrations for everyone the week of Pride in San Francisco. This city has proudly exercised its diversity throughout the years. Two stand out events to support are the Trans March on Friday, June 27th and The Dyke March on Saturday, June 28th. If you don’t identify as one of these genders I suggest you stand on the sidelines and cheer them on!
7. Of course, I can’t have you miss my Annual Pride Party. It has been touted as “The best party of the year”. This non-profit event is celebrating its 10th year of giving back to the community and this years line-up has got to be the gayest ever! Jake Shears, Lady Bunny, Jason Kendig, Kim Ann Foxman, Go Bang, Miss Rahni, Glamamore and The Cougar Cadet Drum Corps head up the entertainment. But the real show is the guests. It’s a magical event that brings everyone together from all walks of life.
8. Finally, make sure you request Monday off, lover.