UPDATE: DJs Kimberly and Beck have been fired. A statement released by the station’s general manager notified listeners and apologized to everyone who was outraged by the duo’s antigay chatter:
“This morning Entercom fired Kimberly and Beck effective immediately. Their hateful comments against the transgender community do not represent our station or our company. We deeply apologize to the transgender community, the community of Rochester, and anyone else who was offended by their hateful comments. We are proud of our past work on behalf of the local LGBT community and we remain committed to that partnership.”
We previously reported:
Radio DJs: they’re generally the worst. Oh, sure, the people on NPR are all great; and indie stations like WYEP are jewels.
But then you have the morning drive-time garbage. It’s all time-filler, at best. And at worst, it’s Kimberly and Beck, two mouths who host a morning show in Rochester.
This morning they took to the air to complain about how the city’s offering insurance to trans employees. The very idea!
The two basically had the worst things imaginable to say. Like, if you tried to think of the worst thing you could possibly say about trans people, it still would not be as bad as these two. Some highlights:
- About the term “transgender”: “What the hell does that mean? Like you’re not a woman or a man?”
- While “Dude Looks Like a Lady” plays: “The dude can look like a lady and the city is going to pay for it!”
- About trans people: “you’re probably a nutjob to begin with!”
- When a woman calls in to complain about their awful show: “thank you, sir!”
Listen to it below, if you want.
Response from readers:
- How sad and awful you show was today.
- Pretty classless, bigoted bit on the gender issue guys. I know morning talk radio has never been know for bleeding edge social commentary but that was disgraceful.
- I hail from Rochester and will never again listen to your radio show. Kimberly and Beck owe a public, heartfelt apology to those they’ve offended, including the callers who tried to inform them of their insensitivity and clear ignorance of the issue.
The station has taken the segment down, which isn’t much of a solution at all. The solution: get rid of these two. Normally we’re pretty forgiving when someone puts their foot in their mouth, since lord knows we’ve said the wrong thing from time to time. But these people are just irredeemable. Obviously, they should be fired, as should pretty much all babbling idiot radio hosts.