You may know self-identifying queer actor Ezra Miller as gay high school student Patrick in Perks of Being a Wallflower or perhaps the entirely unsettling Kevin in We Need To Talk About Kevin, but hiding underneath all that marketable teenage angst is a superhero in the making.
Warner Brothers has announced an ambitious lineup of DC Comic-inspired films over the next five years, and Ezra will don a spandex suit as the star of The Flash in 2018. He’ll also appear first as The Flash in 2017’s Justice League Part One.
And judging by this photo he took for Paper Magazine, he certainly has the abs for superhero stardom. Give him a few more years to come into his own, and we may have a veritable queer leading man.
Luke Evans, are you taking notes?
Here’s the full slate of WB releases with DC Comic characters through 2020:
• Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, directed by Zack Snyder, opening on March 25, 2016
• Suicide Squad, directed by David Ayer, for 2016
• Wonder Woman, starring Gal Gadot, for 2017
• Justice League Part One, directed by Zack Snyder, with Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill, and Amy Adams reprising their roles, for 2017
• The Flash, starring Ezra Miller, for 2018
• Aquaman, starring Jason Momoa, for 2018
• Shazam, for 2019
• Justice League Part Two, directed by Zack Snyder, for 2019
• Cyborg, starring Ray Fisher, for 2020
• Green Lantern, for 2020