Last night RuPaul did an AMA (Ask Me Anything) event on Reddit, in which he answered fan-submitted questions. For an hour and a half Ru answered as many questions as he could using his Reddit username IAmRuPaul. Here are the top 50 answered questions, based on Reddit user up-votes…
1. Can you PLEASE reprint “Lettin It All Hang Out” ?? It’s going for $140 on Amazon and I’m unemployed and I haven’t found it cheaper and I love you so much.
It was selling at my popup store here in Hollywood for twenty bucks! If you PM me your email address, Victoria will help you get one from me.
2. I have just one thing to say… Why *does* it gotta be black?
3. Hey RuPaul, extra question here, I’m a girl, can I be a Drag Queen? I get really jealous watching DragRace and I want to be one too!
You’re born naked, and the rest is drag! EVERYBODY is in drag. Whether you’re a man or a woman. It just depends on how extreme you wanna go.
4. It seems that every woman who has ever been on stage or screen has been called a gay icon at some point in her career, either by the LGBT community or the woman herself. Yet for a term that is bandied about with such abandon, the specific criteria seem to be rather vague. If anyone can give a straight answer on this, it’s you. So Ru, what makes a gay icon?
What makes a gay icon is someone who possesses both masculine and feminine qualities simultaneously. Someone with the power of Judy Garland and the vulnerability of Judy Garland is a shoe-in. The world we live in is made up of polar opposites, black/white, male/female, night/day, and a human being who possesses both masculine and feminine – vulnerability and strength – is intriguing to us, whether they be a singer or actor or dancer, intrigues us, because THAT Is who we really are. We are this world, all of it, and when we recognize it in other people – that person gets our attention.
That person becomes the representation of your own potential.
5. Can you settle a bet for me? Where’s the pickle in a Pickle Surprise?
HAHAHAHAHAA. Oh my god. Do you realize that we filmed Pickle Surprise about twenty-five years ago? And the surprise in a pickle surprise is that there is no pickle! HAHAHA!
6. I just wanted to thank you for being who you are. I still have a lot trouble fully accepting and loving myself like you often preach (amen) but you have helped me greatly in getting where I am now. When I’m having a dark day your love, compassion, and strength always shines a light and I’m sure countless others can say the same. I write this as I’m blaring The Beginning at work by the way. You are one hell of an example to follow and for providing that, again I thank you a hundred thousand times! What keeps you so happy, loving, and compassionate? Anything you do daily/when you’re feeling down?
I start the morning with my yoga stretches, prayer, and meditation. The main thing that motivates me is laughter, and colors, and music, and dancing! And I do all of the above every day.
7. Hey Ru! I loved you in But I’m A Cheerleader. What was your favorite part of working on that film?
It would be watching Eddie Cibrian’s booty in those cutoff jeans.
8. Hey Ru! You’re awesome and I love you.
Why did you decide to go by your real name, RuPaul, instead of taking on a drag name?
Because I was stupid. It’s important to use a stage name so that your real name doesn’t appear on public records.
9. Hey mama, two questions:
When I saw Sharon Needles strut down the runway for the first time in her Rupocalyptic zombie outfit, I already adored her personality and sense of style. Did you know right then and there that she was something special?
Do you ever get fanmail from queens in countries where performing is either illegal or severely repressed? If so, how do you react to these letters?
I have two little sisters, ages 13 and 14, and we LOVE you and your show. I think that it has at least given them a different perspective on the LGBT community. So thank you for everything that you do!
CAN I GET AN AMEN UP IN HERE
I knew she was something special from her audition reel. She is a true original. Very sensitive, and very smart.
Actually, I don’t get that many from places like that. Surely I’ve had a few, but my advice is always – get your ass over here!
10. I’ve got an artesian well on my property and the water pressure is lousy. Any suggestions?
HAHAHA. Sissy that water!
11. Hi RuPaul! Dealing with anxiety I have repeated many of your quotes to myself, to keep going, to stop judging myself, etc. But sometimes the saboteur seems to be screaming so loud that I can’t avoid it. When the saboteur gets too loud, how do you deal with it? Thank you for being so inspiring
You have to nurture another voice that counteracts the saboteur. And you have to also ask yourself – are you willing to give up the payoff you get from succumbing to the saboteur?
12. Hey Rupaul I’m a huge fan!!!
1) How tight is your snatch? 2) Who would you impersonate on snatch game? 3) How do you manage fame and confidence without becoming egotistical?
1) HAHA 2) LaToya Jackson. 3) I’ve been doing this for a long, long time. And I’ve seen people come and go. And usually, people go or drop off the scene because they are undermined by their ego. Keeping my ego at bay, and remembering that this is all about the laughter, and the joy, and the creativity, and the collaboration – it’s not just about me.
13. One of my favourite things about Drag Race is that it skewers other TV (and more specifically reality TV) shows. Which shows can we expect to be referenced in the upcoming season? Fans have been speculating about Shark Tank and Dancing with the Stars…
SCANDAL… It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia… and Workaholics.
14. Hey Ru, just wanted to say how happy Drag Race has made me! As a straight married woman, it has touched my inner drag queen and made me think about being confident and being myself. I love listening to you and Michelle on the podcast. My question is are you surprised by the new generation of fans that every new season seems to bring?
Yes, I am surprised. I’m surprised it took them so long to get to it! HAHAHAHAHA. It’s just amazing to me that something so wonderful could exist and it’s not all over the world, immediately!
15. As someone who has creativity, uniqueness, nerve, and talent in spades, you must have an amazing home wifi network name; what is it???
16. HEYY MAMA Love you darling!
Who would you like to guest judge on Drag Race?
And what is something we don’t know about Michelle Visage?
Cher, Diana Ross, David Bowie.
It’s such a huge organization nightmare to coordinate people’s schedules!
That she’s a biological woman.
17. what was it like meeting Kurt Cobain?
He was a real sweetheart. And he told me that he had come to see my nightclub act, in Seattle, but got there two hours too late! Haha! He had no idea that they put me on at the club so early. So he completely missed me. But he was a real sweetheart, a real kind soul. And he actually – we worked together again on SNL, you know, later on that same year. And he and the rest of the boys were absolutely fabulous, so lovely, and they really appreciated what I was doing, I think mainly because he thought outside the box and understood that, you know, what drag is at its core, totally punk-rock.
18. At the Season Five premiere party, you were giving an interview about the upcoming season, and your exact words were, “We discourage kai-kai, but two girls fall in love on the show.”
In that spirit, could you tell us two lies and a truth about Season Seven? 😉
Let’s just say… season seven will rock your socks.
19. Who’s your favorite superhero?
I love Superman. Because he represents the hero with 1,000 faces. And the potential that lies in every human on this planet.
20. Hey mama! If you weren’t a drag artist/supermodel of the world, what do you think you’d be doing as your career?
I would be a teacher. I love creativity, and watching people come into their own.
21. What’s the fondest childhood memory you have?
The time my sister Renetta took me to the Canyon with a paper bag of cookies and a blanket, and told me “Ru-ru- this is a pic-nic.”
I was 5 years old.
22. Greetings RuPaul! First of all, I just wanted to say thank you so much for everything you do. Your courage, uniqueness, nerve and talent have been a beacon of light for the world during the past 20+ years that you have been performing.
My question for you has to do with Drag Race. Have you ever considered having Drag Kings join the mix? Have you received submissions from Drag Kings before or is it exclusively Drag Queens that apply? I have always been curious and never heard the answer to this before! Again, thank you so much for what you do.
P.S.- What’s the Tee is SO GOOD! Thank you to you and Michelle both for taking the time to record the podcast.
Huh. Drag Race for Drag Kings. That’s a great idea…
First I would love to say that I adore you. My question to you is what is the greatest piece of advice you’ve gotten from anyone, famous or non?
My tenth grade teacher, Mr. Panell, told me “RuPaul, don’t take life too effin’ seriously.”
I didn’t fully understand it at the time, but boy, oh boy, do I understand that now.
24. I have waited the entire internet for this. How long does filming actually last? Also, who’s your favorite professional wrestler and when can we expect them on your show and why is it Chris Jericho?
If you include pre-production – it takes us about 6 weeks to film it, but pre-production lasts 3 months, and then post-production is, you know, 5 months. So it takes a long time. But it’s a quite well-oiled machine at this point.
And my favorite professional wrestler would be… I’m going to say Triple H. And for some odd reason, he hasn’t returned our calls.
25. is your day to day self similar to your public persona ? what got you into drag ?
No, I am an introvert masquerading as an extrovert.
26. Drag Race fans seem to be both very creative and rather obsessive. The show appeals to a specific niche market. Are you hoping to grow the audience and make it more mainstream? If yes, would you consider watering down the drag to make it more family friendly? (I hope not!)
HAHAHA – no, I could NEVER water down the drag. What makes it so appealing is that it’s so dangerous. And it’s sopunk-rock. It’s all of the things we were told, as little boys, NOT to do.
27. Mama Ru – long time watcher first time on this mothertucking reddit thing. Have you ever seen something on the show you wish you could “unsee”? (maybe something that never aired?)
I have no regrets.
28. Dear RuPaul, I’m a 19 year old male living in a no-name town in Maryland. I’ve struggled a lot in my life dealing with a lot of family issues for what honestly seems like forever; and on top of that I’ve dealt with a lot of bullying for being different but never really understanding why. I’m openly gay and have found a lot of strength and love from the gay community, and recently have learned about the drag community! (and I mean more than just watching RPDR). Drag is something that I’ve given a lot of serious consideration into and have even done myself up once or twice with my ~glamorous~ collection of Claire’s Cosmetics!
Right now I’m at a point in my life where my extremely toxic family life has reached a boiling point and my family is out of money and I’m living paycheck to paycheck while giving what I can to my struggling family, and at the same time trying to get out of it all and achieve my dreams! Do you have any advice (or at least some love) for a struggling young gay man trying to make it in the world? Thank you for everything that you do!
Yes. There is another family waiting for you out there. You have to find your tribe. That doesn’t mean that you have to abandon your birth family, but just know that your tribe is waiting for you. And it’s up to you to find them.
29. Hi Ru!!! Big fan! If you were on Judge Judy, what did you do to get yourself there?
HAHAHAHA um, let’s see… it would probably be… gee, let’s see…
Because I bailed some queen out of the pokey, and she has yet to pay me back!
30. Hey there. Love you. Lots. Little obsessed.
Was wondering, it is in bad taste to try drag for your first time during halloween?
No! Do it when you feel comfortable enough to do it. But I promise that it won’t be your last time. Haha.
31. Who is your comedy icon?
32. How can I channel my inner queen to be successful in the workplace? Keeping in mind, I can only wear closed toe shoes and no heels.
Try sexy underwear.
33. Hey RuPaul! So excited you decided to join us redditors! Have you ever considered hosting a DragCon? I would love the opportunity to go see you and my favorite queens at one event (and honestly cruises are not for me). It would be great to go see a bunch of performances and talks at one big event while dropping a boat load of cash on merch and such. Anyway, thank you for all you do. You are a legend and an inspiration.
OMG YES someone please make this happen. I hate cruises but love drag queens.
34. OMG, RuPaul! I’m a die-hard fan and am so excited and grateful that you’re here! I have a few questions:
1. From music to the screen to being an omnipresent icon, you’ve never faltered from being at the top of your game. Many successful people would just rest on their laurels, so what would you say is your main motivator for continuing to do what you do?
2. Has there been a Drag Race contestant who immediately amazed you with their raw star power?
1) I’m motivated by the laughter, honestly. It’s really not about the money or being more famous. I really love creativity.
2) All of them, actually – because I’ve seen their auditions, hundreds of auditions, and I knew right off the bat that they had star quality.
35. Of all the queens on Rupaul’s Drag Race, which one do you think has used the platform most effectively to propel their career and why?
I am SO proud of each of my girls.
36. Would you ever consider letting Canadian queens participate on Drag Race?
Who do you feel grew the most through the course of a season on DR? I met Adore and I feel she’d be a real contender.
Would you ever revisit an All-Stars format?
What advice would you give someone who wants to try drag? Even it is just once.
If they can get a work visa – they can come on ‘cross the border!
And I’d love to, we just need to get the network to agree to it.
GO FOR IT. It’s not gonna hurt ya!
37. Hi, mama!
Are there any new plans for doing a European Drag Race?
British television icon Jonathan Ross is trying to get it started in the UK.
38. What is your favorite episode of Judge Judy?
I think the Earthquake episode.
39. Hi Ru!
Some of your most iconic photos come from the genderfuck style you presented earlier in your career. Are you surprised that during a challenge to emulate your most famous looks on the last season of Drag Race, none of the queens chose genderfuck Ru? How do you think it would have been received if someone had?
You’ve referenced before that you feel drag tends to come in and out of mainstream consciousness depending on the political and social environment of the time. At the moment could you see a resurgence of the Wigstock festival happening?
Well, I think the judges would have really appreciated it. Because I find most queens really want to look, you know, pretty and like Beyonce, or like Arianna Grande – very few queens are willing to, you know, look as edgy as genderf*ck requires.
I believe Wigstock could happen, now. But you know, that window of opportunity is relatively short. I mean, if you remember back, disco happened over the period of about 5 or 6 years.
40. Hi Ru!! I love all the pop culture references you make on Drag Race. If you had to pick one movie for the whole world to watch, what would it be?
The Wizard of Oz. It says everything you need to know about what we are doing on this planet.
41. Hey Rupaul! love your show
1)How do you spend your free time? 2) other than drag, whats you favorite hobbie? 3) Whats your favorite food?
1) What free time?! HAHAHA
2) Well, drag really isn’t a hobby of mine. It’s something that I realized early on that I could do very well. And so I, you know, drove that sucker to the top! So I love music. I love compiling my playlists, listening to music, I love to hike, and I love to bike. I love doing cardio. So I do a lot of cardio while listening to music. HAHA
3) My favorite food is always something crunchy. I LOVE crunchy food, like popcorn… Captain Crunch, HAHAHA… I also, having grown up in San Diego, LUV Mexican food.
42. I truly enjoy your philosophy on life. I thought I was holding myself together pretty well, but whenever I watch Drag Race or Drag U, I always find it uplifting and reinforcing to see you interact with others and listen to your views. You’ve helped me through a lot!
That being said; I know someone doesn’t become wise through an easy life. It’s through experience that you learn everything that you have; and I really look forward to buying your book when I can to learn more; but for now, I’d like to ask:
What was the toughest point of your career and how did you get through it? What have you carried with you from that experience?
Thanks so much for being here Mama Ru
Well, the toughest part of my career was during my “Saturn Returns” which happened at around the age of 28. I go into this period in depth in my first book, Letting It All Hang Out. But through it all, I emerged stronger and better than ever.
I took away from it to dig my feet in deep, and wait for the storm to pass.
43. Hi, Ru! So as I kid, I always thought you were my dad. You see my father happens to be a tall black man like yourself. Then I thought, well I’ve never seen you two together, you must be him. My question is if you could claim a celebrity as your own child, who would it be and why?
I would claim Raven Symone, because i just love her SO MUCH.
44. How do I gain confidence and new friends? I have recently graduated and now I am in college.
First, become your own best friend, and others will come to you.
45. What would you say is your most important piece of fashion advice?
Be yourself. Know your proportions. And have a good tailor.
46. Have you ever had a wardrobe/wig malfunction while performing and how did you handle it?
Absolutely! I’ve had every situation happen. I’ve been onstage for over 30 years. So every time I go onstage, I imagine it’s my mother’s living room, when I was a kid. And I go out there to have fun, and just be natural, and be myself. So if something happens, I’ll laugh it off and keep going!
47. Hiiiieee! What must a lady always carry in her purse?
That’s a good question. What do I always carry in my bag? How about… Glamazon perfume by RuPaul. In fact, I’m wearing it right now – I love it soooo much!
48. If you could add a sport/event to the Olympics that you would ABSOLUTELY(YYYYY) get a medal in, what would it be?
How about throwing shade?
49. Hieeeeeee Ru ily! My biggest fear is losing both of my parents. How did you move forward in your life after you lost yours?
This is the important thing: it’s important to stay in this moment right here, the now. This moment is the most important moment of your life. My parents are still with me. They’re physically not here, but they live inside of me, in my heart.
50. Would you do another talk show? If yes in drag or no?
You are such an inspiration. You’ve helped me become a stronger woman. Thank you thank you a thousand times thank you.
You know, I’m always game for everything. What people don’t understand is that the networks are who you have to get to take a chance on you. I wanna do it all. The trick is convincing a network to do it with you.