Denali Berries Stuckey, a Black transgender woman, was found fatally shot in North Charleston, South Carolina, on Saturday, July 20, and she’s the 12th known transgender woman of color to be killed in the United States this year, according to the Human Rights Campaign.
29 year old Denali Berries Stuckey was found shot to death early this morning; making her the 12th Black trans woman (that we know of) murdered this year. ?? We don’t deserve death. We deserve, jobs, housing, healthcare, and social support. More importantly—we deserve love. #RIP pic.twitter.com/7AO5HuWtmb
— Ashlee Marie Preston (@AshleeMPreston) July 21, 2019
Last year, HRC reports, advocates tallied 26 deaths of trans people in the U.S. due to fatal violence, and again, the majority were Black transgender women.
“While the details of these cases differ, it is clear that fatal violence disproportionately affects transgender women of color, and that the intersections of racism, sexism, homophobia, biphobia and transphobia conspire to deprive them of employment, housing, healthcare and other necessities, barriers that make them vulnerable,” the organization writes.
Here are the names of the 12 transgender individuals fatally shot or killed by other violent means in 2019, all of them Black women.
- Dana Martin, 31, fatally shot in Montgomery, Alabama, on January 6
- Jazzaline Ware, found dead in Memphis in March
- Ashanti Carmon, 27, fatally shot in Prince George’s County, Maryland, on March 30
- Claire Legato, 21, fatally shot in Cleveland on April 15
- Muhlaysia Booker, 23, fatally shot in Dallas on May 18
- Michelle ‘Tamika’ Washington, 40, fatally shot in Philadelphia on May 19
- Paris Cameron, 20, one of three people killed in an anti-LGBTQ shooting in Detroit on May 25, according to local reports
- Chynal Lindsey, 26, found dead in Dallas on June 1
- Chanel Scurlock, 23, fatally shot in Lumberton, North Carolina
- Zoe Spears, 23, found with signs of trauma in Fairmount Heights, Maryland, and pronounced dead on June 13, according to local reports
- Brooklyn Lindsey, 32, found dead in Kansas City, Missouri, on June 25, according to local news reports
- Denali Berries Stuckey, 29, fatally shot in North Charleston, South Carolina, on July 20
For more information on anti-transgender violence, refer to HRC’s “Dismantling a Culture of Violence” report.