We may still have three months before New Years Eve 2017 sends us all into off-key renditions of “Auld Lang Syne,” but already astute travelers have begun to book their New Years Eve destinations–and everything in the festive months leading up to it.
One hot location this year as always: Las Vegas. In recent years the hosts of Vegas’ nightlife cater to the LGBTQ crowd, as if recent residencies from Cher, Ricky Martin and Elton John didn’t already offer fans of fabulousness a warm welcome. And that’s just the start. From world class cuisine to spectacular helicopter tours, it offers one awesome adventure after another, all in the same glittering city.
So, channel your inner Nomi Malone, and dive into these great excursions…
1. The Entertainment
This year, New Year’s Eve entertainers include gay fave Celine Dion at the MGM Grand, Bruno Mars at the Monte Carlo, and Maroon 5, featuring hunky pro-gay activist Adam Levine at Mandalay Bay.
- Fans of Britney Spears will have one last chance to check out her Vegas residency at Planet Hollywood before she checks out
- Cirque Du Soleil has a gaggle of shows around town, featuring the music of everyone from The Beatles to Michael Jackson, not to mention the hot trapeze artists
- Magician David Copperfield will perform at the MGM Grand
- Fans of drag should also check out Divas at the Linq an all-female impersonator revue starring noted drag performer Frank Marino
- For visitors craving some erotic entertainment, the Magic Mike Live at the Hard Rock Hotel show features some steamy male dancers performing for…tips
2. The Food
Vegas may have attracted tourists with its casinos and shows, but anyone who visits will attest to one more treasure: the cuisine. Vegas plays home to a number of world-renown celebrity chefs. Several notable eateries will also offer special New Year’s Eve menus as well as their usual delectable and romantic settings, including:
- LAGO at the Bellagio
- Cleo at SLS
- Mon Ami Gabi French cuisine at the Paris
- BLT Steak steakhouse at Bally’s
- Carnevino fine Italian dining at the Palazzo
- Scarpetta Italian at The Cosmopolitan
3. The Clubs
The spectacle and glamour of Vegas carries over into its famed club scene—the kind of nightlife that attracts celebrities—and noted DJs—the world over. A number of noted nightclub venues will host special New Year’s Eve parties.
- Calvin Harris will perform a special set at Omnia (Caesar’s Palace)
- Hard Rock Café will host a special open bar party
- The Chainsmokers will perform at XS at the Encore
- French Montana will DJ at Marquee at the Cosmopolitan
- Marshmello at Intrigue
- Gucci Mane at Tao
4. The Adventure
- Sundance Helicopters offers chopper rides during the actual fireworks, letting visitors check out a surreal, romantic view of the festivities
- Serenity Helicopters offers their usual tours over the city and an aerial Grand Canyon tour
- For visitors who prefer ground transport, a Hoover Dam bus tour visits the local scenery
- Tours also run in the daylight hours, including a limo tour of the Grand Canyon
- Exotics Racing lets you get behind the wheel of high-end and racing automobiles
5. High Spirits
Vegas sets the standard with bars and clubs to hang out at with your friends–and more than a few new ones to check out. Like any New Year’s Eve party, a number of these venues may require reservations, so call or book ahead.
- The Dorsey at the Venetian
- Jewel at ARIA Las Vegas
- Laundry Room speakeasy off Fremont Street
- The Barrymore at the Royal Resort Hotel
- Vue Bar at the D
- 107 SkyLounge at the Stratosphere
- The Garage, a bar catering to the queer community