Say it ain’t so!
This latest report comes just days after Franco was accused of being a hypocrite on social media for wearing a Time’s Up pin at Sunday night’s Golden Globe Awards:
Hey James Franco, nice #timesup pin at the #GoldenGlobes , remember a few weeks ago when you told me the full nudity you had me do in two of your movies for $100/day wasn't exploitative because I signed a contract to do it? Times up on that!
— Sarah Tither-Kaplan? (@sarahtk) January 8, 2018
Cute #TIMESUP pin James Franco. Remember the time you pushed my head down in a car towards your exposed penis & that other time you told my friend to come to your hotel when she was 17? After you had already been caught doing that to a different 17 year old?
— Violet Paley (@VioletPaley) January 8, 2018
Of course, anyone can say anything they want on Twitter no matter how slanderous. So last night on Late Night with Seth Meyers, Meyers asked Franco about the tweets.
Franco called the allegations “not accurate,” but said he wouldn’t contradict the women’s claims because the Time’s Up movement is about people being able to be share their experiences openly.
“I have my own side of this story,” he said, “but I believe in these people that have been underrepresented getting their stories out enough that I will hold back things that I could say, just because I believe in it that much.”
Franco continued, “If I have to take a knock because I’m not going to try and actively refute things, then I will, because I believe in it that much.”
Then the Los Angeles Times story broke.
The report, which was published Thursday morning, includes accusations from several more woman, all of whom attended Franco’s acting school Studio 4.
One woman claims that during a course on filming sex scenes, Franco made the women remove the plastic guards covering their vaginas.
Another said Franco told female students that “there were possible roles on the table if we were to perform sexual acts or take off our shirts.” She also says he would frequently email her about job opportunities, but the roles were always for “a prostitute or a hooker.”
Two other women say Franco was “hostile” towards them during a film shoot that took place in a strip club when they refused to take their tops off.
Franco is still sticking by his decision to “hold back” his response for now. But people are already starting to distance themselves from the 39-year-old star.
Yesterday, The New York Times canceled a scheduled event with Franco in light of the allegations. It remains to be seen if he’ll receive an Oscar nomination for The Disaster Artist. The nominees will be announced on January 23rd.