ON OUR GAYDAR — News, notes, clicks, and quips from around the web.
• Richard Hatch released from jail after serving a 51-month tax evasion sentence. Now he’s got three years of supervised release and can’t leave Rhode Island without an official OK.
• NYC mayoral candidate Bill Thompson would like to explain his “yes” answer to whether Obama is doing enough for gay rights.
• Meanwhile, Michael Bloomberg recants on just how much influence he has over New York’s Republican State Senators. He is, however, bringing additional attention to the brutal gay bashing of Jack Price.
• Kerry Fletcher, a gay former soldier, scored a £186,895.52 settlement from Britain’s Ministry of Defense over accusations she endured sexual harassment after rebuffing advances from male comrades and superiors. So how come that amount was just reduced?
• Gay A Boy’s Own Story scribe Ed White, whose new NYC-y memoir City Boy just dropped: “I believe in promiscuity. But you know people are a lot more complicated than they appear to be. I mean, right now I’m in a relationship where I am faithful because my partner wants me to be, and I respect him enough — and it lowers the level of anxiety in our relationship. He’s also extraordinarily hot. In the past, when gays were very flamboyant as drag queens or as leather queens or whatever, that just amused people. And most of the people that come and watch the gay Halloween parade, where all those excesses are on display, those are straight families, and they think it’s funny. But what people don’t think is so funny is when two middle-aged lawyers who are married to each other move in next door to you and your wife and they have adopted a Korean girl and they want to send her to school with your children and they want to socialize with you and share a drink over the backyard fence. That creeps people out, especially Christians. So, I don’t think gay marriage is a conservative issue. I think it’s a radical issue.”
• Will Illinois’ Democratic U.S. Rep. Luis Gutierrez include the gays in his immigration reform bill?
• British man Ian Baynham dead because he stood up to a girl screaming homophobic slurs?
• John Mayer did go to a gay bar. He did not kiss a dude.